Friday, November 1, 2013

Great Salvage Pieces

I like industrial and vintage looks. They often blend well with either modern or traditional aesthetics. Plus, this is an excellent way to reduce waste. When I need something affordable, I've started checking in with Chartreuse & Company in Buckeystown. They are usually open the third Friday, Saturday and Sunday each month, but do have special holiday functions. Here is a peek at the kind of amazing finds they have had there in the past (architectural items, furniture, and fun bric-a-brac).

I am constantly trying to improve the storage and shelving options to suit a modern family of four in a house built in 1927. We just finished the basement. It is currently a pretty blank canvas. It needs a utility sink and this was one of the first things to capture my attention. Complicating matters, the plumbing is in the main space that we plan to use like a game room. I thought I would like a bar aesthetic in the space, rather than looking at laundry room ides. I was so excited by what I found--I never even asked what the original function of this item was.



This will need to be converted to have a real, workable drain "set up"--it has just small spigots, but it has several things going for it. Number one, it looks cool. It will also hold beer and ice handily in half, while still having a functional sink in the other half. Best of all, this cover that I can remove to scrub something in the deep sink will also provide surface space when the waterworks are not in use. I'll have to get started on the search for some wall mount fixtures to work with this. There is no way there is anything this cool in all of Ikea! There is another popular architectural salvage place in Baltimore called Housewerks. I have never been to Lucketts, VA, but Chartreuse & Company is often compared to the much larger market there. I have much more to look forward to as I hunt for pieces to reuse and repurpose.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of repurposing, here is a cool idea for an armoire pantry http://diycozyhome.com/turn-an-old-armoire-into-pantry-space/

    ReplyDelete